How We Work
FSF partners with selected companies to deliver critical products and services that measurably change nutrition outcomes for our targeted low-income customers.
FSF's Core Competencies
1. Deep understanding of food systems and companies and what it takes to be economically viable.
2. Understanding the nutritional landscape. Developing a policy on nutrition.
3. Innovation skills, in particular how to get consumers to adopt new foods.
4. Relationship management.
5. Deal sourcing and structuring.
FSF's Value Proposition: Pre-investment
- Local Market Knowledge
- Community and Government
- Food Systems and Nutrition Landscape
- Food and Nutrition Policy landscape
- Business Landscape and Gaps
- Development of Commercially Viable Solutions
- Passion to Address Challenge of Malnutrition
FSF's Value Proposition: Post-Investment
- Investment Capital and Advisory
- Partnerships for Local Community Outreach
- Business Acceleration and Risk Management (for expansion into and operating in target underserved and low income communities)
Selecting Partner Companies
FSF invests in innovative food and agribusiness companies that address key gaps in food security and nutrition for poor and underserved communities, and can generate sustainable, measurable, scalable impact as well as commercial returns for private investors.
Food and agribusiness companies in developed and emerging markets across value chain: production & transformation, distribution & logistics, point of sale and consumer businesses.
Initial pilot markets: US (Chicago) and Rwanda.
Ability to reduce barriers of access, affordability & awareness to improve nutrition outcomes for poor & underserved (including through nutrition sensitive innovations).
Enterprise investability based on growth potential, current market share, market size, revenue, profitability, and business model viability.
Originality of innovation and opportunity to drive disruptive change within value chain given current dynamics.
Potential to reduce resource usage and environmental degradation.
Caliber and expertise of current leadership team.